Max Estes and Chase Hoyt

On June 7, 2013, in 2013, by Leslie Hanson

I have enjoyed almost everything that Peru has to offer so far.  We have been working endlessly in the mornings, and taking care of the children at night.  The Spanish that I picked up in my class has really come in handy whenever I needed it.  I am thrilled that I got such an amazing opportunity to attend the Spanish class and use my knowledge to help me speak to the students. The one thing that I noticed was the ability of our group to adapt and speak fast whenever necessary.  The kids have been teaching us new Spanish words and we have been teaching them some English as well.  They are so interactive and always bring out the brightest in everyone. Also what I realized was that whenever we are done with the children and we have spoken loads of Spanish, it’s extremely hard to stop.  We feel like we have to speak Spanish every second and we stutter looking for words (or at least I do).  Another thing to add is the AMAZING food!  My Mom said that I should buy a meal before I leave because it might be the last good meal for me; however the food here is incredible, we couldn’t have asked for more.  The only down side to the trip that I have had so far, was when I clogged the toilet and had to reach into the toilet and….you know.  With everything I’ve learned in Lima, I have experienced the Grad at Grad characteristic of “Open to Growth” the most.  I learned this through the children at “La Casa de Ninos”.  They were all excited to see us right from the beginning, and were extremely interested to see what we were doing. I can’t wait to explore other areas in Peru and seize the opportunities that they give me.  – Max Estes

During the upcoming week to the Peru trip, I realized that it really had not hit me that I was taking part of and was chosen to go on such a trip. It took a while for the true magnitude of what was happening to hit me, and it hit me when we were walking out of the Airport in Lima, Peru, where we had just arrived. From what I have seen, Peru is far different than the United States, obviously, but there are some differences that are less obvious and more subtle. Some obvious differences would include things like how everyone here drives as fast as they feel like (Seriously, I haven’t seen one speed limit sign yet), and that people are merely obstacles in the road that you should at least try to avoid. It is also a clearly impoverished land. Houses are stacked and lined up like books on a shelf, and most of the vehicles are merely motorcycles with a bench welded to the back. There’s an absolutely uncountable amount of dogs on the streets; you can’t walk down a street without encountering at least two (and one of them will usually bark at you). But, like I said, there are differences that are hidden and it is our job to see those differences, and to ask ourselves, “Why is that?”.  The people here are different, but not in a bad way. Never have I seen such an independent and self sufficient group of people. These are people who will find jobs for themselves, and if they can’t, they’ll make one. Most people seem to have some kind of relation to the jobs in the markets on the streets, either selling meat, clothes, or knickknacks, and for some, that is their only job. However, these people are also incredibly friendly and sociable. They will talk, high-five, fist-bump, hug, and kiss, even if you are a stranger. They will help you with any sort of labor you ask for. For example, we have been working on the comedor in the poorer district of Peru, and there are many people who are working alongside us for 3-6 hours every day. Why do they do this? Why are there not as many people like this in America as there are in Peru? Why are the people who are most open and most loving most commonly found in places like these? These are the questions that we need to ask, and our job is to see, hear, and try to understand, this world that we all share, through the eyes, ears, and minds of all these people. I believe that the hardships that these people are faced with teach them the truth about this world. These are the people who know the truth, and I am adamant that all people in the world can learn from them. These people are hurt and hurt over and over again, yet they can still see and feel the light and warmth in their lives. They know to move on and to love others. These are the people who are TRULY wise. I am nearly 1/3rd of my way through my time in Peru, and I hope that I, along with my brothers, can learn from these people. –Chase Hoyt

14 Responses to Max Estes and Chase Hoyt

1. Renforth Family says:

Great posting!!! Your insights and descriptions are so good that we feel like we are almost there with you. Take care of each other. Anxiously awaiting next posting.

2. Briggs Hoyt says:

Chase,
    Sounds like they all kinda drive like Wade! Haha but this is an awesome post, I can see that the light of enlightenment and realization is just beginning to flicker through your words, and it is by asking questions like these that true character development happens. There is no simple answer alone that will satisfy the depth of your questions, but by just simply asking yourself the questions and pondering them, you are growing. Questioning how and why the people who were dealt the least in life are often the most willing to give and love openly is a strong one, one that hopefully everyone born into more fortunate situations can grow from. Can’t wait until you get home and we can hear more about your travels, stay safe and continue to ponder those questions!
    Love, Briggs

3. Wade Hoyt says:

Well it looks like me and the people there just know how to get places fast, you guys could learn a thing or two;) but great post chase! Glad you were one of the first since we’ve been waiting here at home for yours to come in! And im glad you’re enjoying the food, honestly cant say I saw that one coming ha. But keep it up, you think you might have learned a lot already and seen all sorts of new things but I can garuntee you that you’re not even close to learning new things from those people. Keep an open mind the whole time! And take lots of videos and pictures I want to see them when you come back:)

-Kirk Out

4. Niki Tarbell says:

Dear Max,

I enjoyed reading your post and hearing that you are truly submerging yourself in the experience and breathing in your surroundings. I love seeing that you have learned so much from the children you are working with. Isn’t it amazing how much you learn from those you are trying to teach? I felt that way about you from the moment you were born…I think we are all surprised, at some point in our lives, what we can learn from children. It is wonderful to see your mind so open and I will look forward to watching you calling upon the memories of this experience for years to come.

Sorry about the toilet – that’s no fun…!!

Love,
    Aunt Nik

5. Megan Hoyt says:

Hi Chase!

We are so excited and appreciative to hear from you, and your Brophy Brothers.
    Sounds like you are “immersing” yourself in the land, culture and people of Peru.
    Perfect! Stepping out of your comfort zone is what these trips, and what Brophy teaches you and wants from you. Take it all in. To you and your Brothers and Instructors; stay safe, stay well and have an amazing experience! We love you and miss you, Mom xoxoxo

6. Greg Hoyt says:

Chase,
    So glad to hear that you are enjoying your time so far in Peru. These life experiences will last you a lifetime and please never quit questioning what there is to offer/give both in Peru and at home. Can’t wait to hear it all upon your return.
    Love,
    Dad

7. Ron Estes says:

Hi Max!
    Great to hear about some of your experiences so far. I now have a better vision in my mind of what you all are doing. I’m really glad you didn’t elaborate too much about the toilet, so I won’t add any “toilet humor” either. I’ll wait until you get home. I hope you are keeping a journal, and taking pictures. Can’t wait to hear more about the Open to Growth you mentioned in the blog. I love you, Max. Break the gate!
    Dad

8. Anne Ross says:

Max, Chase and Team Pisco

Thank you for your vivid descriptions. We look forward to your posts and thank you for taking the time to share your journey.

9. Izzy Estes says:

Hi Max!
    Your trip sounds like so much fun!:D I miss you a lot. It’s actually boring without you here! Right now, Glen, Mom, and I are on a long trip back from seeing Kyla graduate… She misses you too! I bet the toilet thing was fun. Haha!
    I love you brotha!
    ~Izzy Squizzy

10. Jen Estes says:

Dear Max,

It brought such a smile to my heart to read your blog posting yesterday, and I have been basking in the glow of it ever since… probably has to do with simply hearing your voice through your writing. I’m so grateful that you are so appreciative of Peru’s culture and the children, and that you recognize that you are growing! Mr. Broyles and Sra. Alvarez would be so proud to hear that you’re aware that you’re transitioning between two languages… immersion is the only way to experience that. Lucky you, Buddy!

Chase, thank you so much for the descriptions of the city and the driving (be careful!). I love that I have a vivid mental picture of the city. I love your questions and I agree with Briggs… The answers are in the questions!

So, I believe you are all transitioning to Community Links today and I can’t believe you have been away for a whole week. We are all so grateful for the updates and we look forward to continuing this journey along with you. Keep staying where your feet are and enjoying the moments, looking for ways to be of service. I love you, Max, and I’m so happy to know that you are embracing this experience! I really miss you, but I know that you are right where you are supposed to be…

Love,
    Mom XOXO

11. Barbara Hoyt says:

Hi Chase, What a great letter you sent – was so well written to describe what you saw when arriving in Peru. A great talent you have! Sounds like you are experiencing many different people & ways of living that is great. Glad you are having a great time – have fun – see you when you return! Miss you. Love, Dana

12. It was so good to hear the blog about your trip and that you are well. Loved your description of the traffic and plentiful dogs. I know that being immersed in the everyday life of the Peruvians will be an influence on you for the rest of your life. Can’t wait for the next blog and stay safe and well. Love, Gram and Gramp.

13. Jack Estes says:

Great to read these posts, Max. It’s thrilling to imagine all you are learning and experiencing. Travel definitely ‘broadens’ a person, and you’re getting the best of it by immersing yourself in the culture (and other places as well, I see). What a great opportunity. And your Spanish must be getting really good. Can’t wait to see you in a month and to hear more stories. You’ll be full of ’em, I know. GJ

14. Robert and Jane Beaudry says:

We are so pleased to hear that you are enjoying your journey, in distance and in life. We are certain that you will leave a great impression on those you touch with your heart, up-standing character and cheerful self. It is probably a combination of work and fun as well as a wonderful learning experience. We’ll look forward to hearing all about your trip. Love, Pepere and Memere

4701 North Central Avenue, Phoenix, AZ 85012 | 602-264-5291
Questions or comments about this site? Please .