Mike LaPrade '02, brother of Matt LaPrade '04, Brandon LaPrade '05, Zachary LaPrade '09
Jonathan Cole, father of Sebby Cole '08 and Alex Cole (XCP '11)
Joe Kenny '70, brother of Brian Kenny '72
- Sights & sounds from a lively Brophy Club Fair yesterday. Video
- Brock Ghelfi '12 named 2011 Arizona Lacrosse Player of the Year westsidelax.com
The Brophy Swim & Dive team wins the first meet of the 2011 season against Hamilton! Brophy scored 133 points, with Hamilton scoring 50 points. Individual event winners included Jonas Fowler '13 in the 100 Fly & 200IM, Eric Crouch '12 in the 200 Free, Isaac Montano '13 in the 50 Free, JJ Osborn '14 in the 100 Back and Brad Dorsey '14 in the 100 Breast. Brophy swept all 3 Relays with Gus Quinif '12 winning the diving event.
- Ignatian spirituality series resumes this month. Join Brophy Vice President, Adria Renke, in this prayerful, reflective time. Join us during lunch at 11:30 AM or after work at 6:30 PM.
Click here for dates and more information.
- Sophomores Rajet Vatsa & Aakash Jain receive Future Innovators Award from the 2011 Governor's Celebration of Innovators.
- The Golf team made their way to Grayhawk for their first match of the season. Brophy hosted Basha, Desert Ridge & Mountain Pointe on the Raptor course and the Broncos came away with the victory. Junior Ryan Theisen was the medalist and led the way with a solid round of even par 36. Other solid rounds were posted by Juniors Blake Toolan (38), Tyler Kertson (39), Timmy Shimon (40) and sophomore Sam Triplett (40).
Final tallies: Brophy 153,
Desert Ridge 163,
Mountain Pointe 165,
- Brophy's World Youth Day delegation make the 7-hour trek to the small airfield to hold vigil and prepare for Pope Benedict's Papal Mass at on the final day at WYD. Student blog
- Brophy freshmen Matthew Valdez and Machi Megwa spend their final days of summer giving St. Catherine's basketball court a facelift. Catholic Sun
- Sixth-grade scholars start classes at new Loyola Academy en route to Brophy. Catholic Sun
- Brophy BLAM (student artwork) adds to the communal atmosphere at local coffee shop. AZcentral.com
- Congratulations to Brophy senior Chris Webb, who competed at the Junior National Swim meet last week in Stanford, CA. He swam the 400IM. His time garnered an invitation to the USA Swimming Olympic Swim Trials. Where he'll compete against Michael Phelps and Ryan Lochte for a spot on the USA Olympic Team. Senior Michael Nelson missed the Olympic Trials by half a second in the 100 Breast. Great performance for both at a national level.
- What's that? Can't find anything about Brophy reunions? Try clicking the reunions tag on the Brophy Events & Press blog, you'll find reunions for Brophy Classes of 1961, 1966, 1971, 1981, 1991, 2001.
- Brophy welcomes Father Phil Postell, S.J. as the new Director of Alumni Relations. Father Postell comes to Brophy from Jesuit High School, Dallas, where he served as President. Father Postell also recently finished a term on Brophy's Board of Trustees. If you're around Brophy, give Father Postell a call, come by for coffee and a chat. Email Father Postell
- CLASS OF 2011! SEND US YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS. Don't be left out of the upcoming events. Email
- Tomas Abrate '10 tried out and made the storied Irish Guard at the University of Notre Dame this year! 40 students tried out for 4 spots. Once you make the cut, you stay until senior year so you can imagine its quite an honor. The first ND home game this weekend will be televised nationally. Watch them in action
- ASU's Special Team's includes Brophy alumnus Alex Garoutte '07. AZCentral.com, Statepress.com
As of this writing, Alex's first outting with the Sun Devils was successful. He scored 2 field goals last night (9-1-11) helping them to a final of 48-14 over UC Davis.
Andrew Gallagher ‘07 was selected to be a member of the United States National Rowing Team and represented the US at the U23 World Rowing Championships this past July in Amsterdam. After training at the Olympic Training Center in Chula Vista, California this summer, Gallagher raced as 3 seat in the Men's quad or 4X. Gallagher and his teammates raced to the best finish in US history in this event.
Photo: Andrew is 2nd from left
Blake Behrens '07 will finish his football scholarship at the University of Colorado this December. He will be the first athlete in the history of the University to leave with 3 degrees in 4-1/2 yrs. He already has completed a B.S. in Finance and a B.S. in Accounting. By the end of this fall semester, he'll have his 3rd B.S. in Economics. He is a 4-time member of the All Big-12 Commissioner's Honor Roll.
Stephen Watson '78 spoke to Brophy faculty & students recently about his work on the latest project for JPL -the Juno Mission to Jupiter. Stephen is the Project Software Systems Engineer on the probe that launched from the Cape on August 5th. They expect the probe to reach Jupiter in 2016.
Photo left: Watson with Jim Bopp's Physics class
Kyle Veldman ‘11 interned this summer at TGen –The Translational Genomics Research Institute. TGen accepts 50 interns every summer, mostly comprised of high school graduates, undergrads and graduate students. Kyle was one of 10 of high school graduates to intern. He also competed in a $1000 scholarship symposium, though he didn’t win the scholarship he did place 3rd. Kyle leaves for MIT on August 18th, reporting to football camp. Dad Karl wrote in an email, “The preparation that Brophy has given him in the academics and sports field will truly put him in the right direction for his future. He continues to make us proud of his accomplishments.”
- Brophy alumnus Alex Lendrum '09 (USC), Austen Thompson '09 (U of A) and John Wojciechowski '10 (Michigan) qualified in multiple events for the Olympic Trial. Head coach Pat O’Neill beamed as he told of these accomplishments and the extensive field of Brophy swimmers associated with the Olympic Trials.
Josh Dennard '11 at University of Montana. KTVQ.com
MARRIAGES & BAPTISMS
- Michael Book '88 and wife, Krystal, welcomed their first child, Jackson Sawyer Book on July 26, 2011
Do you have alumni news to share?
Email me at email@example.com
Brophy Weekly Archives