BROPHY COMMUNITY FOUNDATION
YOUR LAST DAY TO GET A 2010 Arizona tax credit! The only way to be sure your donation gets in on time for the 2010 tax season is to donate online here.
Help a student afford a Brophy education. Your dollar-for-dollar tax credit donation is an investment in Arizona's children (K-12) by giving them a school choice!
MaryJo Karansky, mother of Joel Karansky '95. The family has asked that memorials be made to Arlington Cancer Center in Texas where MaryJo was a patient.
The Schmitt, Leach and Collier families mournfully announce the passing of Helen Pedersen (nie: Leach) Pugh; grandmother of Brandon Leach '02, Michael Schmitt '07, Julia Schmitt (XCP 2009) and mother-in-law of Tim Schmitt '81.
- Freshman Dylan Gardner is a budding musician and songwriter. It's catchy! Check him out at www.dylangardnermusic.com. He plays at the Pranksters Too & The Jester Room in Scottsdale on April 16th. Dylan was also recently interview and gave a live performance at the Arizona Music Cafe Show on KKNT AM960.
- Alex Chen '14 competed in the Phoenix Music Teachers Association "Celebration of Music" Piano Competition last weekend, winning "Superior with Distinction" honors for his division. He performed two pieces by Mozart and Liszt.
- Brophy’s Key Club joined the Southwest District Key Club Convention in Albuquerque, on April 8-10, in which 350 Key Club students participated. Eric Andrews, Aaron Chavez, Shane D’sa, Jack Park and Tim Stoa represented Brophy’s Key Club. Shane D’sa ran for Lt. Governor of the North Mountain Division and won. He will be in charge of representing the North Mountain Division, which includes the Key Clubs from the following schools: Central, St. Mary’s, Sunnyslope, Thunderbird and Xavier. Shane also participated in the Oratorical Speech contest and earned a second place award.
- Brophy's Quiz Bowl team took 1st place for the 3rd year in a row at the Arizona Scholastic Bowl. Brophy teacher Patrick Kolb quoted a Millenium High School teacher after a blow-out match, "How do your students learn all this?” Sophomore Kapil Kanagal and Senior Brendan Fries answered for us, replying, “By watching CNN, Fox News, having tough classes and challenging teachers.” Congratulations to Brendan Fries, Kapil Kanagal, Aakash Jain, Rajet Vatsa, Wesley Fullmer, Jordan Bruner, Ivan Iotzov, Ashish Sridhar, Andrew Salmon, Kyle Chapman, Nehal Samra, Conner Wareing, Seth Harris, Jimmy Crnkovich, Michael Sanchez, Jake Ward and Andrew Burke.
Class of 1971 is planning their 40th reunion with Xavier alumni this year. Dates are October 21-23. For more information, email email@example.com.
- Brophy Trustee Emeriti Sharon Harper, mother of Joe Harper '97 and Michael Harper '01, fueling the economy and creating jobs.http://tiny.cc/i1lu7
- Steve Vick '99 is a Captain in the United States Air Force presently serving in the middle-east. He received a BA in electrical Engineering from Loyola Marymount University ' 04 & an MA in Civil Engineering from Stanford University '08. Steve married Tasha (formerly Worch, also presently an Air Force Captain) in 2004 in LMU's Sacred Heart Chapel. He has served multiple deployments & overseas assignments since his 2004 commissioning as a 2nd Lt. Steve graduated with distinction from the USAF Squadron Officer’s School in 2009 and was named 2011 Company Grade Officer-of-the-Year for Incirlik Air Base, Turkey. He and Tasha look forward to their next scheduled assignment in Colorado Springs, where Steve will serve as an instructor at the United States Air Force Academy.
Two years of suffering a torn labrum in his left shoulder and a car wreck breaking his right ankle, Brophy alumnus Matt Chaffee '07 kept his competitive spirit intact. http://tiny.cc/m1o55
Stephen Watson '78 sent over a great blog (make sure you check out the photos too) about the NASA's Juno mission, where is he the Program Software Systems Engineer. Last week's airlift carried the spacecraft and it's high-gain antenna where the large solar arrays previously shipped to Florida. This past Monday, the team began final assembly and launch preparations. We're (I mean HE'S) 117 days from the opening of the launch period. Congratulations Stephen, we wait with anticipation!
Sean Christensen '03 is a professional filmmaker in Los Angeles. His latest project, "The Duel," written & performed by two-time Emmy Award-winning actress Lili Taylor (Six Feet Under, High Fidelity), is a gripping short film about a family's brave struggle with severe mental illness.
- Special thank you to Joe Kress '57 who erected a a special exhibit at Brophy commemorating the 325th anniversary of Father Eusebio Francisco Kino, S.J. missionary work in the American west. Father Kino was a mathematician, cartographer and explorer of the southwest who introduced advanced agricultural methods, crops and cattle among the native tribes at the mission communities he founded.
After completing a foreign policy internship with the Hudson Institute in DC, Alex Fogleman '05 presented 2 research papers at the International Studies Conference in Montreal, being one of the youngest researchers to present at this conference. Upon presenting his papers, "State's Rights, Individual Rights, and Internet Freedom" & "Cyber Security in a New Globalized World: Establishing New Frameworks", Alex was asked by the United States Army to submit his research for publication in a National Security journal. Alex graduated from University of Arizona in 2009 with a double major in Political Science and Philosophy. He currently resides in Virginia and hopes to work in the field of security, policy and the foreign service.
Stan Baczynski '64 retired this year from the Port of San Diego where he served as a Construction Inspector. He's spending his retirement as a Certified Arborist, consulting and traveling and spending time with family in Arizona and California. He hopes to return to Brophy to shoot hoops in the gym he helped raise money for back in '64.
Tyler Pidgeon '03 graduates from Tufts Medical School this May and will do his residency in orthopaedic surgery at Brown University.
- Greg Pidgeon '07 graduates this May from Boston College. Next stop for Greg...New York City to work for Morgan Stanley.
- Scott Day Freeman '84 was recently elected as the Vice Chairman of the Arizona Independent Redistricting Commission. Speaker of the Arizona House of Representatives Kirk Adams appointed Scott to the commission in January. The AIRC is responsible for redrawing state and federal legislative districts.
- UNLV sophomore, outfielder Brandon Bayardi (BCP '09) was named Mountain West Conference Player of the Week for the week ending April 10th. Bayardi went 7-for-12 at the plate in three games, helping the Rebels (22-12) get their 4th series win at home. Bayardi batted .583 and slugged 1.250, smashing three-run home runs in each of the UNLV wins during last Saturday's doubleheader.
- Back and knee injuries can't keep Peter Olsen '90 down! Peter is an avid marathoner and always wears his Brophy gear. Last week he ran in the Milano marathon, his first in a year, finishing at 3:31.
MARRIAGES & BAPTISMS
- Holly & Scott Garlick '90 welcomed Shay Patrick Garlick (BCP '29) born on March 18th. Young Mr. Garlick will be among many familiar names in the Class of 2029, the year we celebrate Brophy's Centenary: Buchanan, Levesque, Ragland! Anyone else?
- Kevin Tozer '03 will marry Jennifer McLaughlin (XCP '03) this weekend in the Brophy Chapel
Anthony Nguyen '01 married Chrissy Drazkowski (XCP '02) on March 26th in the Brophy Chapel.
Do you have alumni news to share?
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Brophy Weekly Archives